Tuesday, January 19, 2010

New Printer Woes

So we got a new copier/pinter/scanner/fax machine.  I have not had to do much printer replacement and this was a real eye opener.  First off I had the printer installed using the same name and IP as the old copier.  Because this went to all of the staff I was getting reports of problems printing all over the building.  ENPS had problems opening ENPS.  It was failing to open at the point of loading the printers.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have installed the printer to another IP address and called it another name.  I could have then changed the logon script to reflect the changes.

But how I resolved it, I looked up the print driver and found it in: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3".  This was a Kyocera Mita copier and all of the drivers started with KM... and it is the only printer of this brand.  So all other printers did not have this prefix on the drivers.

I then rebooted into safe mode and deleted the files.  Then on the next logon the printer got remapped and started working.

No comments:

Post a Comment